What is a DDA?
Where is the DDA?
DDA Members and Contact Info
DDA Meeting Minutes
DDA Projects List
What is the Melrose Township DDA?
Michigan Public Act 57 of 2018 allows Townships to form a Downtown Development Authority. The primary purpose of a DDA is to:
- Prevent deterioration and promote economic growth within a business district by developing, adopting, and implementing development plans.
The Downtown Development Authority (DDA) was established on August 10, 2004 by Ordinance 2-04 . An amendment to this document (Ordinance no 3 of 2012) reduced the number of Directors from 13 to 9. The New DDA had their first Organizational meeting November 11, 2004 and began work on a Combined Development and TIF (Tax Increment Financing) Plan. The combined plan was adopted on December 13, 2005 as Ordinance # 2 of 2005.
On June 10, 2008 the Melrose Township Board of Trustees approved By-Laws to govern DDA operations. On March 12, 2013 these bylaws were amended to increase, from one to two, the maximum number of out-of-district members and decrease total members from thirteen to nine.
Where are the DDA Boundary Lines?
The DDA stretches from the Bear River through the village to US131 and North to Clarion. Click here to view a map of the district.
For a list of current DDA members please click here to view the Government Directory page.
It is the policy of Melrose Township to make meeting minutes available to the general public. In the interest of providing timely information the most current documents may be in the form of "Draft" or "Unapproved" minutes. Click here
to access a list of available Meeting Minutes.
Financial information for the DDA and Township, including budgets and an audit report are available on this site's Financial Information Page.
The following list represents DDA projects either completed, in progress, or planned for the immediate future.
- Replaced park bathhouse roof - Completed in 2009
- Overhead utility lines relocated underground - Completed in 2010
- Installed sidewalks from park to Church - Completed in 2014
- Installed electrical power in the park - Completed in 2015
- Streetscape project - Completed in 2016
- Promotional maps/brochures - Started in 2016 - Ongoing
- Installed sailboat sign next to boat launch parking lot - Completed in 2016
- Holiday lighting program including promotional efforts and Winterfest - Started in 2017 - Ongoing
- July car show - Started in 2017 - Ongoing
- Partnered with US131 Corridor Promotional Committee and West Michigan Tourist Association - Started in 2018 - Ongoing
- Install lawn irrigation at the park and beach - Completed summer 2019
- Walkable museum plan - Installed in 2021
- Park Parking Lot Expansion and resurfaced entire parking lot - completed 2021
- Park Bathhouse renovation completed fall 2021
- Promote Michigan Partnership (Diane Stamphler) - Ongoing
- Hemmingway Bronze and Historical Signage in Circle Park - Ongoing
- Developed DDA Website (https://www.walloonlakemi.com/)