The following list of Zoning Documents are for your convenience. Questions and comments can be addressed to our Zoning Administrator For permit cost visit the Schedule of Fees page. For other non-zoning Township Ordinances click here.

Zoning Applications and Permits
Mass Gathering Application

The forms listed above relate to Planning and Zoning actions and can be used to prepare your applications. Adobe Acrobat Reader must be installed on your computer in order to open these documents and can be downloaded for free by clicking here.
These forms can be completed interactively. Simply click on an input box and type your information. At this time the forms cannot be submitted on-line so you must print and sign the form then submit it manually with the appropriate fee. Additional instructions can be obtained by contacting the Zoning Administrator

Ordinance, Map, Guidelines, and Procedures

Other Considerations

If you are planning to build new, modify a building, or erect any type of structure you may need one or more of the following permits:

Health Permit - Also known as a septic and/or well  permit, this is usually the first permit acquired, as it is needed to  obtain both a Zoning Permit and a Building Permit. Although some construction, such as a deck, patio, accessory building, sign, etc. does not require a Health Permit, it may be wise to contact the Health Department at (231) 547-6523 located at 220 W. Garfield St, Charlevoix MI, 49720 and verify if your construction needs a permit. Applications may also be acquired from this agency. Reconstruction of a septic system or replacing a well also requires a permit. 

Zoning Permit - This permit is basically a land use permit and is designed to protect the values of Township properties. It assures proper land use as well as the positioning of structures on the property to protect health, safety and the environment. The Zoning Permit is required for any structure to be built. Applications for this permit may be downloaded from this page, picked up at the Melrose Township Hall or by calling the Zoning Administrator.

The Charlevoix County Equalization Department issues address numbers.

Driveway Permit - This permit, issued by the Charlevoix County Road Commission, is required any time a new property entrance is planned. This permit regulates the safe flow of traffic through proper ingress and egress as well as provides for efficient snow removal and road maintenance. The County Road Commission has these permit applications. 

Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Permit - If you are planning to build within 500 feet of a lake or stream, or plan to disturb an acre or more of land, you must obtain  this permit from the Charlevoix County Department of Building Safety
All commercial property must have this permit regardless of location or amount of land to be disturbed.

Other Permits - If you plan to modify a shoreline, you will need permission. Contact the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Land and Water Management Division for Walloon Lake. If you are considering disturbing a wetland, contact the DNR. If you are considering dividing your property, contact the Zoning Administrator for a Parcel Division application.

Recent Zoning Ordinance Amendments

On December 10, 2013 the Melrose Township Board of Trustees adopted two Zoning Ordinance Amendments. The first amendment simplifies and shortens the Land Division process, while the second amendment clarifies allowed uses in the C-3 Village Commercial District and adds temporary lodging facilities. The amendments take affect on December 26, 2013. Complete copies of the amendments are available through the links below.

Zoning Ordinance Amendments approved December 10, 2013